Sunday, October 4, 2009

Blog Song #1: The Army of Shiz

Okay. I already posted this song, but I thought it would make a great beginning to this "Music About Nothing" project. The idea for this song came to me just before I went on my mission. I was reading in Ether 14 in the Book of Mormon, and upon reading the phrase "Who can stand before the Army of Shiz", I thought, "This would make a wonderful Bon Jovi-style song." It took me until now to really pull that idea together into what it is now: The Army of Shiz.

BE SURE TO SUGGEST STUFF FOR NEXT WEEK'S POLL IN THE COMMENTS BELOW!

Lyrics:

And it came to pass that Shiz pursued after Coriantumr, and he did overthrow many cities, and he did slay both women and children, and he did burn the cities
And there went a fear of Shiz throughout all the land; yea, a cry went forth throughout the land--Who can stand before the army of Shiz? Behold, he sweepeth the earth before him!
Shiz did not cease to pursue Coriantumr, for he had sworn to avenge himself upon Coriantumr of the blood of his brother, who had been slain
And thus we see that the Lord did visit them in the fulness of his wrath, and their wickedness and abominations had prepared a way
For their everlasting destruction

Coriantumr, my friend
I write unto you once again
A prophet wants you to repent
But I want you to die!
I'm telling you that there is no way
I'm gonna give in to you today
And that is all that I'm gonna say
So long as your alive
So put on your armor
And meet me on the fields
Your life will be no longer
For I will never yield!

Who can stand before the army of Shiz, for he sweepeth the earth before him
Who can stand before the army of Shiz, unless you repent of your sin

My dear Shiz, you're a foolish man
I'm not gonna give in to your demands
I'm gonna to everything I can
To see you end up dead!
Our father Jared never knew
Just what his people would come down to
If, in the end, it's just me and you
You're gonna lose your head!
So get your men together
For a final fight
This war could last forever
Or it could all end tonight!

Who can stand before the army of Shiz, for he sweepeth the earth before him
Who can stand before the army of Shiz, unless you repent of your sin

The Spirit of the Lord ceased to strive with them
As Satan fought for both sides
If they would but repent, they would save their own lives
Is wickedness worth genocide?

Who can stand before the army of Shiz, for he sweepeth the earth before him

5 comments:

  1. I voted for Benjamin Franklin. It looks like I'm going to lose in the SWKT, so I'd like to suggest that the song, no matter its subject, include a percussive solo using kitchen utensils.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I like that we get to vote for the topic, but I would also like to weigh in on the style of the song. I voted for SWKT with the stipulation that it should be written after the manner of The Cure.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I need to clarify--these suggestions are going to go on next week's poll.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cool blog Alex! So you want suggestions for subjects on next weeks poll? We just watched Return of the Jedi last night so the only ideas I can come up with right now are Star Wars related. How about a song about Han Solo, and the song must contain the line "Could you tell Luke? Is that who you could tell?!" in the lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you are...there are no words. My inability to express this sensation is encompassed in my passion for music. Your ability to make music out of the simplest of things is quite admirable. I love you...'re amazingness.

    ReplyDelete