Monday, October 26, 2009

Poll Song #2: It's Time to Talk Me Down

Subject: The Cuban Missile Crisis 9 (39%)
Subject: Han Solo 7 (30%)
Subject: Paper Clips 3 (13%)
Style: The Cure 1 (4%)
Style: Green Day 4 (17%)
Style: TV show theme song 10 (43%)
Other: Percussive solo with utensils 12 (52%)
Other: Song meter 7/4 5 (21%)
Other: Recorded backwards then reversed 3 (13%)
Total votes: 23

"The Cuban Missile Crisis was a confrontation between the United States, the Soviet Union, and Cuba in October 1962, during the Cold War" (Wikipedia). Following the failed Bay of Pigs Invasion, tension was high between those three nations, which was only made worse by the Soviet Union placing nuclear missiles in Cuba, which scared the pants off of the United States. After a series of events, the missiles were eventually removed. For more information, read the Wikipedia article.

It's Time to Talk Me Down

Lyrics:

Sometimes the things you do make me confused
Even your friends are gettin' mad at you
You should've taken a step back
Instead of drivin' in that wedge
And your one small step for man
Has led you right off of the edge

Sometimes I say, "No," but you say, "Yes"
And then I ask you why, and you say, "Guess"
This kind of communication
Calls for closed hostility
So I'm gonna get you back for things
You haven't done to me

Baby, it's time to talk me down
Or else, baby, yeah, you can't stop me now
There's pluto in Cuba
And Jupiter is in Turkey
And this world war is between
You and me

There's Khrushchev, Castro, and Kennedy
And so many people wonder, how can it be
It isn't very often when
We all get what we want
If you can't please everybody then
You've gotta please U Thant

Baby, it's time to talk me down
Or else, baby, yeah, you can't stop me now
We shoot down your airplane
You put charges in the sea
And this world war is between
You and me
This world war is between
You and me

4 comments:

  1. I'm going nuts! This is genious! It's like you don't know if your talking about a relationship or international diplomacy. Genious!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I agree with Jeremy, the juxtaposition of the music with the lyrics is sensational.

    By the way, you didn't say what kind of utensils you used?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used a spatula, a fork, a spoon, a whisk, tongs, and a wooden spoon.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I've had this in my head all day.

    ReplyDelete