Tuesday, December 1, 2009

Poll Song #3: Skulduggery

Petrichor (10%)
Skulduggery (50%)
Obnubilation (10%)
Incunabulum (30%)

Funny thing about this one: it originally had a whole bit about skulduggery in it, which was cool, but that part was removed on account of being awful, so now it's just called this for no reason. Which is also cool!

This, I believe, is the first break-up song I've ever written. Makes sense that I've never written about that, because I've never broken up with anyone. But, I guess I've never been a monkey in space either, so, there you go.

Skulduggery

Lyrics:

Listen to the rain outside
I said it makes me feel alright
But you said,
"Man, it's just rain"

Holding your hand was a preclusion
To stop you from jumping to conclusions

The obnubilated sky
The petrichor all in my mind
I don't get
What there is to hate

What was once a flowing river
Has now settled into loam
And though you constantly
Don't understand my superlative vocabulary
That's just another reason you should go

I knew this wouldn't work when I saw you tonight
Your movie quotes were all misspoken and it tore me up on the inside
I knew this wouldn't work when I saw Youtube tonight
I watched the video to prove that I was right
I think you need to go
Even though I love you so
Or you'll tear me down for the rest of my life

I'm trying not to get annoyed
But once you said you like Pink Floyd
And I said
Hey, so do I

I told you a story
That I made up
About us and them
We were on the run
We found pigs on the wing
That tried to speak to me

So I called my mother
To say
Hey you
I wish you were here
In the flesh
To see this
But there was nobody home
And all you had to say in response was,
"What are you talking about?"

So back to what I was saying
You say you don't like the rain
So I think
This is goodbye

We've tried this conversation seven thousand times before
But you're so ultracrepidarian
We just aren't en rapport

I knew this wouldn't work when I saw you tonight
Your movie quotes were all misspoken and it tore me up on the inside
I knew this wouldn't work when I saw Youtube tonight
I watched the video to prove that I was right
I think you need to go
Even though I love you so
Or you'll tear me down

I knew this wouldn't work when I saw you tonight
Your movie quotes were all misspoken and it tore me up on the inside
I knew this wouldn't work when I saw Youtube tonight
I watched the video to prove that I was right
I think you need to go
Even though I love you so
Or you'll tear me down
For the rest of my life

5 comments:

  1. I like it, a wonderfully cromulent song.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I count eight PF song references in the second verse, but I have a feeling I'm missing one.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ahhh...after looking at my copy of DSOTM I got it. I never remember that there's a separate track before Breathe.

    ReplyDelete